Sunday, April 14, 2013

Slimane is getting under my skin

It's almost impossible to avoid Saint Laurent's newest ad campaigns at this point. Hedi Slimane's Music Project is putting the house in the spotlight. While his latest designs made for numerous eye-rolls these ads are more along the line of head-turners. Iconic "rough around the edges" musicians appear natural and simplistic in a lineup of black and white spreads.
My personal favorite are the Courtney Love images. Her girly-grunge look is a perfect continuation of what was shown on the Fall runway. While I don't see much of a correlation between the classic brand and the celebrities I can finally see into Slimane's mind. It's extremely obvious that he intends on bringing a younger generation into high fashion. Love, Manson, and Pink are all perfect examples of straying from the mainstream. Slimane is making Saint Laurent cool again (although I never knew otherwise). In the age of Tumblr, this is a wise move. Teen grunge lovers all over the globe will be swooning over every detail of the Saint Laurent Music Project. I cannot hate Slimane for using his contacts wisely. I now understand that he knows exactly what he's doing.
Although I still do not agree with his methods, there is a budding respect. My biggest complaint is the way in which he is playing with popular internet culture. I believe he is using it more as a crutch, rather than a tool. Soon enough trends will dominate his runway and hipsters will be the only people willing to watch. For this reason, I am anxious.

Only time will tell, but for now let's enjoy the moment with these ads.



No comments:

Post a Comment